Student and Exchange Visa F.A.Q

What are the basic requirements for a student/exchange visa?

You must convince the consular officer that you are a bona fide student/exchange visitor, have a residence abroad that you have no intention of abandoning, and that you will depart the United States at the end of your studies or program. Information to support your application can include evidence of your immediate family's social and economic situation (proof of employment, property ownership, savings, and previous U.S. visa(s).

When can I apply?

F, M and J visas will NOT be issued more than 120 days prior to the start date indicated on the form I-20/DS-2019. The Embassy cannot issue a student F-1 of M-1 visa after the reporting date on your I-20 has passed or if it appears you will not be able to enter the United States before that reporting date.

My DS-2019 or I-20A & B or I-20M Form hasn't arrived from the United States yet. Can I apply for my visa?

Yes, you may initiate the visa application process. Present your letter of admission to the educational institution you plan to attend. For the visa to be issued and placed in your passport, you must submit the original forms to us.

My SEVIS fee has not been paid. What should I do?

We can accept your application though the SEVIS fee has not yet been paid. However, you must submit proof of payment before the visa can be issued.

Can I study at a U.S. public school?

U.S. law does not permit foreign students to attend public elementary school (kindergarten to 8th grade) or a publicly funded adult education program. Hence, F-1 visas cannot be issued for study at such schools. However, a F-1 visa can be issued for attendance at a public secondary school (grades 9 to 12), but the student is limited to a maximum of 12 months at the school and parents required to reimburse the public school for the full, unsubsidized per capita cost of education for the intended period of study.

Note: This law does not pertain to holders of J, F-2, H-4, L-2, or any other non-immigrant visa status permitting elementary or secondary school attendance.

When can I enter the United States?

DHS regulations state that holders of F, M, or J visas will not be admitted to the United States until a date that is 30 days or less prior to the beginning of your program start date (listed on your I-20 or DS-2019). You may be denied entry into the United States if you use the visa earlier than this thirty-day period. Please consider that date carefully when making your travel plans to the United States.

As a F, M or J visa holder, what do I need to re-enter the United States for study after any short trip abroad?

To return, you must present a valid passport, valid F, M or J visa, and a properly endorsed, valid I-20/DS-2019 form at the U.S. port of entry. The valid F, M or J visa can be in an old or expired travel document as long as you can present a new, valid passport.

If I am in the United States studying and my visa has expired, do I need to leave?

If you are a student/exchange visitor whose visa has expired, you may remain in the United States as long as you are in full-time student/exchange visitor status. On your next trip outside the United States, you will need to apply for and receive a valid F-1, J-1, or M-1 visa to re-enter the United States.

How long can I stay in the United States after my study/exchange program ends?

F visa: 60 days after the conclusion of your studies.J or M visa: 30 days after the official end of your program.

What if I want to stay longer than the permitted 30 days afterwards on my J or M visa as a tourist?

You should apply for a B-1/B-2 visa at the same time you apply for your J or M visa. If you decide to apply for both visa types, you will need to pay two separate application fees. To remain longer than the 30 days permitted after the end of your program, you must contact the Border Control and Immigration Services (BCIS) office in the state you reside in and request a change in status from your J or M visa to your B-1/B-2 visa. You should request this change in status about 2 months prior to the official end of your program. Alternatively, you could leave the United States within the 30 days after the end of your program and re-enter on your B-1/B-2 visa.

How do I "transfer" my valid F, M or J visa into my new passport?

There is no provision in U.S. visa regulations for the transfer of a visa. However, it is not necessary to replace a valid F, M or J visa in your expired or expiring passport. When applying to re-enter the United States after a short trip abroad (and obtaining the new passport, of the same nationality), you should carry your new and old passports together, along with your valid I-20/DS-2019. If you find it inconvenient to travel with two passports, you may choose to apply to have a new visa placed in your new passport. Please note that the application fee and other necessary fees will be charged and there is no guarantee that a visa will be granted. When applying for a new visa, you should present a valid I-20/DS-2019 and proof that you are a continuing, full-time student/exchange visitor in the United States.

Related Links

More on Student Visas
Consulate Visa FAQs
Studying in the US
SEVIS Information
Education USA